Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Personal post: The origin of my obsession

Maybe it's time to tell the world about how my love for weddings began.

I grew up in a small town in Northeast Pa., a town once prominent in the railroad world. The Starrucca House, a massive train station, was built here in the mid-1800's, serving as a stop for passengers on their way down the Erie line. Long before I was born, my grandfather purchased the building and restored it to it's original splendor. It became a restaurant and banquet facility, and remained so up until recently.

When I was a kid, my family and I would eat in the restaurant every Friday night. Sometimes my brother and I would go upstairs and explore the run-down hotel rooms that he always swore to me were haunted. I still get chills every time I go up there. The hotel part of the 327-foot-long building isn't the most interesting part of the station, however.

Upon entering the building in the front, you walk through the restaurant, walk through what's called the "Gandy Dancer Saloon," keep walking, go through a long, slightly creepy hallway lined with floor to ceiling windows, and walk through a small open-archway door. What do you see?

A gigantic room that seems to go on forever. The walls are light blue, accented with amazing woodwork and beams going across the three-story high ceiling. Your shoes echo as you walk across the hardwood floors. Behind you, a balcony with an intricate design.

The building is enough to fall in love with...but that's not what sold me.

As I got older, I started working at The Starrucca House as a server for banquets and weddings. Weekend after weekend I would see couples having their first dance on the ballroom floor, I would see them up on the balcony addressing all of their guests with joy. Weekend after weekend, I saw the old train station transform in to something completely different, to compliment the couple that it was hosting.

It was then I knew that I wanted to make sure that everyone got the perfect wedding that they deserve. 

Now, the station is closed, but I'm still lucky enough to work for a company that hosts weddings almost every weekend. I am amazed by each and every one.

Quite often I'm told that wedding planning is 'a tough industry to go in to' and that I'll 'never make any money,' but honestly, seeing the faces of a happy couple on their wedding day is better than anything money can buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment